1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup warm water (105°F - 115°F)
3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon water
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
2. Place 3-1/4 cups flour, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic and
salt in bowl.
Attach bowl and dough hook.
Turn to Speed 2 and mix 30 seconds.
Stop and scrape bowl.
Continuing on Speed 2, slowly add yeast mixture and cold water, mixing about 30 seconds.
If dough is sticky, add remaining 1/4 cup flour.
Knead on Speed 2 for 3 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Cover; let rise at room temperature (70°F - 80°F), free from draft, until doubled in size, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
4. On lightly floured surface, punch dough down several times,
to remove all air bubbles, and divide dough in half.
Shape each half into a 12-inch long loaf.
Place each loaf on a greased baking sheet or greased baguette pans.
With sharp knife, make 3 to 4 shallow diagonal slices in top of dough.
Combine egg and 1 teaspoon water and brush top of each baguette with egg mixture.
Cover with greased plastic wrap.
Let rise at room temperature (70°F - 80°F) until doubled in size, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
5. Brush top of each baguette again with egg mixture.
Bake at 450°F for 15 to 18 minutes or until deep golden brown.
Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.